Wednesday, November 11, 2009

This is Our Time

Today on my daily bike ride, I had my MP3 player on shuffle--yes, I'm the ONLY person left that doesn't have an Ipod! Anyway, one of the songs was "This is Our Time" from Harmony. I am absolutely in love with those songs. The message of the entire catalog is perseverance in the midst of trials with music being at the core of their common bond.

I got to thinking...we live in trying times. There's no arguing, no matter where you stand politically, that it's been a "
lousy year of lousy news". Most recently, the horrible massacre at Ft. Hood. I don't know about you, but I will never understand the rationale behind the hatred that makes someone kill so many people to make some sort of personal or political statement. Something on that scale leaves all of us feeling helpless; but it also draws us together. When tragedy happens, we all pull in close and seek comfort in sharing that common grief.

I also asked myself: Is this "
our time"? Are we standing at a crossroad with the times we have "inherited" and are we just going to "roll over and die" or are we going to "rise above it all"? The sad fact is that everyone has an opinion but nobody wants to listen. I've seen this happen first hand personally and socially.

What's the key? Living and working together. It sounds simple but it is so incredibly hard. Add to this, the willingness that we all have to pigeon hole people into the place we feel they belong: Republican, Democrat, liberal, conservative, Christian, Jew, gay, straight, rich, and poor. Does it really matter? When it comes down to basics we are all created equal. We may have different views, morals and lifestyles but we are all equal in God's eyes (and if that labels me, so be it!)

If this really is "
our time", (and I'd like to think it is), we should stop pointing fingers and start grabbing hands. We should be encouraged and inspired by these words from the song:

Help it happen
Draw the plan

You can't do it

Nor can I

But...

WE CAN!


Together, we can "rise above it all".
Texas Fan

4 comments:

you begin again.... said...

Amen. Got nothing to add. You nailed it.

I'm 100% with you. Lose the labels, find some really amazing people underneath.

MUAH!!! {{{}}}

Anonymous said...

Nothing needs to be added to this.
You are right on the money! xx

Unknown said...

Well said.

Survivor said...

You both hit the nail on the head! Tolerance, unity, harmony..it's a pity many others couldn't live their lives keeping that in mind when they decide that it's okay to kill another human being in the name of ................!!
I love your analogy YBA..lose the labels and you find some wonderful people underneath..how true!

 
Clicky Web Analytics