Tuesday, December 8, 2009

It's a "Barry" Christmas


Reading all the reviews from the shows at the McCallum theater sure can put you in the Christmas spirit. Of course hanging my treasured "Barry Christmas" ornament the other night put the cherry on top of my Christmas mood.

I love Christmas. I love the decorations, wrapping presents, the Hallmark channel Christmas movies, baking, Christmas pageants and of course, the music. My all-time favorite Christmas album of Barry's is the most recent, "In the Swing of Christmas"; but, honestly, I love all three of his Christmas offerings. Just for fun, I thought I would list my choices for the BEST songs from each of them. See if you agree!

In the Swing of Christmas
Violets for Your Furs
Count Your Blessings
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
Gift of Love (Duet with Oliva Newton-John)

Christmas Gift of Love
Happy Holidays/White Christmas
I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm
River

Because It's Christmas
The Christmas Song
Baby It's Cold Outside
Joy to the World/Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

The jazziness of "In the Swing of Christmas", the festive holiday feel of "Christmas Gift of Love" and the classics on "Because It's Christmas" give any Manilow aficionado a variety of styles to choose from. The arrangements in each of these albums draw attention to the fact that Barry is first and foremost a musician that can take a song and make it his own with his genius arrangements.

Listening to the "sounds" of the season,
Texas Fan

P.S. I think "Christmas is Just Around the Corner" has become my FAVORITE "fun" Christmas tune--for this year and for many years to come. What can I say? It makes me smile EVERY time I hear it!

1 comment:

Great PurpleRobe said...

I love all those songs too. Makes me look forward to December every year! --JB

 
Clicky Web Analytics