Sunday, January 28, 2007

Madison Square Garden


I just realized that I have not posted my thoughts on my trip to the Big Apple to see Barry at the Garden on January 16th. My treck from Texas to New York City via Boston was a wonderful travel experience. I always love flying and I got to take a train from Boston to New York. I absolutely love riding on trains!

Once in New York, I departed the train station for a crisp New York walk to my hotel. After getting my bearings, I headed down 31st toward Broadway and enjoyed once again all the sights and sounds of New York. Gosh I love that city! After finding my hotel, The Broadway Plaza, I checked in and joined my friend for an afternoon of sight seeing and checking out the Garden.


We looked frevently for some type of signage advertising Barry's show, but there was none to be found. We thought it odd that there was nothing to advertise 3 nights of concerts, but apparently there was signage at Times Square. We did however find an unusual sign painted on the wall outside the Garden. It said, "The Best Seat in the House Belongs to Me" and had an arrow pointing downward. My friend spotted it and we immediately took advantage of the great photo opportunity. It served to get us excited about the evening's festivities.

For dinner we had reservations at Nick and Steph's restaurant at the Garden. Great food and great location. After dinner we were ushered up to a private entrance to the Garden and quickly found our seats. It was 7:45 and the show was set to begin at 8pm. The arena was EMPTY. The section that our seats were in was completely empty, except for the two of us. As time progressed, people trickled in, but still not a sell out. Our section remained empty until intermission when people moved down from the rafters. Ticketmaster...I don't understand their philosophy of ticket sales!

Right here, right now.....the show began and WOW. Barry never disappoints. Some highlights:
Weekend In New England---amazing performance
Could It Be Magic-never tire of hearing the extended version of this song
Dave Koz-what an unexpected treat
Moon River with Dave Koz-love that song and that rendition
New costumes-for the girls, Kye and even Barry
I Made It Through the Rain-jazz version...love it!


Before we knew it the evening was over and the crowd dispersed. We did not receive a One Voice encore. Probably because the crowd was not that enthusiastic and his hips seemed to be bothering him earlier. The show was over too soon, even though it's longer than the Vegas version. After traveling miles to see "the man", I was not disappointed and would travel back to Texas with a smile on my face and another Barry experience to add to my memories.

Until next time Barry..
Signing off for now,
Texas Fanilow

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics