Sunday, January 20, 2008

The 80's Album

Well...it's happening. The Clive machine strikes again and we are going to have the pleasure of another decade album. I have to admit, the 80's were a decade that was devoid of pop music for me. My mother was battling cancer, my kids were babies, and my life was in constant turmoil. I turned to Christian music: Amy Grant, Sandi Patti, Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman and others to survive.

I had a conversation today with my best friend. She is a fan of 80's music. You really feel old, or completely lacking in "coolness" when you can't recognize any of the groups or songs being mentioned: Journey, Phil Collins, Richard Marx (never heard of them). I was able to recognize Cyndi Lauper, and a Bette Midler song. However, the rest was Greek to me.

When the album comes out, I won't be judging it based on previous versions of the songs. I have nothing to compare it to. I'm sure Barry will work his magic and fill it with tremendous ballads and love songs that will take my breath away. I've read the lyrics to "Open Arms" and I have to admit, there is potential there. And...since I missed the 80's (for all intents and purposes), I'm looking forward to reliving them through Barry's new album.

An up and coming 80's music fan,
Texas Fanilow

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics