Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Why I'm Proud to be a Barry Manilow Fan

On February 14th, Barry is doing a concert in NYC at Nassau Coliseum:

The proceeds from the concert will be donated by Stand Up for a Cure to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, founded by Evelyn Lauder in 1993. The foundation is credited for creating the infamous “pink ribbon.”

This cause, hits home for me. Why? My mother died from breast cancer in 1986. And in 1997 I found a stage 2 lump in my breast. It's been 11 years in September and every day I feel blessed that I was a survivor. I'm hoping and praying they find a cure for it for my daughter's sake and for every woman who wakes up one morning and finds her life turned upside down. So many have battled it and lost their lives. But all the recent medical advancements and the detection techniques funded by these charities have made a huge difference in the mortality rate.

Barry just gives and gives. He doesn't have to give any of his hard-earned money or his valuable time away. But he does. He doesn't have to care about cancer victims, but he does. He doesn't have to care about people with cystic fibrosis. But he does. He doesn't have to care about aids victims, but he does. He doesn't have to care about students who need instruments, but he does. He sets the bar high for all of us to give our time, our support and our money to those who need our help.

And that, is why I'm proud to be a Barry Manilow fan.

Grateful,
Texas Fan

Footnote: You've got to read YBA's blog on this...the medical perspective!

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics