Thursday, August 27, 2009

It's not personal, it's just business


"It's not personal, it's just business". Words from a very famous movie. I didn't buy it then and I'm not buying it now. It is personal. It's very personal. People always take the way a business treats its customers as personal. The best businesses treat their customers as they would want to be treated themselves. The worst businesses put the dollar before the customer and treat them like a number (or a dollar amount).

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like it to be so, it's never "all about the music". Those pesky business practices always interfere with the musical enjoyment. Those pesky business practices always taint my view of the music. I wish it didn't, but it does. And today, somebody who is very kind and giving, got the "business" side of the music and it wasn't pleasant. It never is. And another lifelong fan bites the dust.

I can only hope that the money that was saved and the rights that were protected will make someone more comfortable and happy knowing that the goblins who are trying to steal the music from them were squelched and silenced. I can't help but think to myself, what's the harm? Give and you shall receive...or is it slam the "not hurting anyone" fan to the ground and you win? Either way, the music doesn't sound so great right now. It's leaving a bad taste in my mouth again.

The ups and downs of being a Manilow fan,
Texas Fan

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM SO OUT OF THE LOOP DUE TO THE FACT THAT I AM NEVER ON THE COMPUTER. WHAT HAPPENED TO BRING THIS ABOUT? I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR THIS.

MoonStone said...

The whole thing makes me sick. What a low classless blow. On top of that, I'd REALLY like to know who the "I want my 5 mins of fame" scumbag was who ratted her out about the 'private' showings.

texas_fan said...

You and me both, Moon. You and me both.

Anonymous,
If you're out of the loop, consider yourself lucky.

Unknown said...

Having been in this world for years, and seen this happen time and time again, I have to wonder - how does anyone really know that it's a fan turning these people in. How do you know it's not a member of Stiletto under an assumed name on these groups? The end result is the same, of course. It seems a little unfair to me that people always assume that a fan has gone bad.

texas_fan said...

The real question is why handle it in such a tactless way? The answer. They don't have a clue how to treat a customer, a lifelong fan, or a human being.

But then again, we can't ever expect any less from the business side of the music. And after all, it is first and foremost a business. Heart never plays into it--because "it's not personal, it's business".

Sheron said...

As I posted on the old newsgroup, lots of fans are sweet, naive people who only want to share Barry's videos with others. They think all Barry stuff is sort of a common thing to be shared with everyone. They don't understand Stiletto's obsessive need to stop that at all costs. Each time I've seen ANY copyrighted video posted, I always say, "Uh oh...Wonder how long before this one is nuked." And instead of actually "being nice" to fans who meant no harm, and perhaps calling them to remedy the situation, they call in the unfeeling lawyers to slap them down like an annoying fly on the wall. There's no need to squash a long-time fan, who loved Barry with all her heart, like a grape under a boot.

My opinion is, I'd wait for Barry to burn all his unauthorized bootlegs (he's admitted on TV to having some) in a big pile on the Palm Springs patio before you set fire to yours.

And a message for Catrin: Of the two parties involved here, you and those who decided to punch you in the stomach using their legal team, you're the one who followed their rule of "be nice." Blessings to you.

Bonnie said...

Nothing surprises me anymore.

What we fail to realize is that TPTB (and that includes Barry as he has an equal input in all these decisions) can't have all these videos floating around while they are trying to launch Manilow TV, in order to pick our pockets each and every month. If they are out there for free, why pay for it?

I had to laugh, when on the Kathy Griffin show, Barry had the nerve to say it wasn't about the money, it was about the heart. Yeah Right!!! It's always been business first and the fans be damned. Sadly this is just another prime example of that.

Survivor said...

I am not totally convinced that Barry does know everything that happens in his name. I read, on the UK site a while ago, that someone's brother was working on the plane that brought Barry into London last year. He didn't even know what other things he was doing once he got here. Apparently he said 'What's Strictly Come Dancing'.
I know this isn't the same but when you hear little things like this it does make you wonder.
I genuinely think that he wouldn't have condoned such an act to a fan in such a callous way! (and just to clarify I am not one of those fans that think he's perfect! NO man is perfect!!!)

 
Clicky Web Analytics