Thursday, June 5, 2008

What's it like?

I was watching a television show on the Travel Channel (No Reservations) and a reference to Barry popped up. It wasn't the best reference: a comment about his face and the work he has had done. I got to thinking what it must be like to be so famous that your name pops up everywhere: movies, television shows, radio, print journalism, internet blogs, award shows, and even random conversation.

I would imagine it's not so great. There's a lot to be said for anonymity. I can say whatever I want and be reasonably assured it won't show up in the mass media. It has shown up in newsgroups and been misquoted and taken out of context; and I have to say, I didn't like it. Being famous just magnifies your words and your actions, both professional and personal.

Yes. You choose your own path in life. And being famous certainly has its perks. However, it occurs to me that perhaps the perks might not outweigh the negatives at times, with people scrutinizing everything you say and do. And if you're not strong, the criticism and the scrutiny can literally destroy you.

I'll be the first to admit I wouldn't mind some of the perks that go along with celebrity status. But I also want to eat without being interrupted. Have a drink with friends without being gawked at or eavesdropped on. Walk along the strip and enjoy the fountains at the Bellagio without an entourage of security guards.

I guess it's true when they say: the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. However, I wouldn't mind trading places for just a day...now that might be fun!

In my own little corner of the world,
Texas Fan

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics