Monday, April 13, 2009

Barry Manilow and Friendship Factor


It's been a very long time since I've been serious here on this blog. But several things have happened in my life over the last few weeks that have reminded me of the value of the friendships I have made in the Manilow world; most of which began online via the internet and the Barrynet message board. These friendships have been my lifeline at times, carrying me through times of grief, sadness, and hopelessness; encouraging me to reach for my dreams and expand my horizons.

Some of the friendships have also been sources of great turmoil and frustration, teaching me that some people will always have their own agenda. But along the way I've learned some tough lessons about myself, human behavior and about the kind of friendship that matters the most. I've had adversaries turn into friends and friends turn into adversaries. I've had casual acquaintances turn into trusted allies and trusted allies turn into traitors.

These type of friendships have littered and enhanced my life over the last few years. Perhaps it's the ying and yang of it all. Always reminding me that there is good and evil in this world and the good far outweighs the bad. And it's the friends I've made in the Manilow world that I always seem to turn to when I need support and encouragement, just as I do the music. They are my kindred spirits, leading me to hope when all hope is gone, and driving me toward my passionate dreams and goals.

Some have said that the measure of a true friend is that they can share in your joy as well as your sadness; be happy for you when you succeed, not just comfort you when you fail. Those are the friends I treasure and value.

"It's you and me forever and a day",
Texas Fan


(picture taken by Debbie Giese)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thoughtful post and one I agree with. I try and live by the maxim that if uou stretch out your hand in friendship, there is always someone to take it. There may be some that hurt you but that will always happen. Better to take that chance of finding a good friend than not to try at all.

Debbie said...

Very well said Suzanne. You have a way with words. I to have made alot of good friends....you are definitely one of them. Thanks for being there for Rob and I when we need it most.

Peachy said...

Well said. A friend and I were talking this weekend, and I said that the Manilow world (if nothing else) definitely gives you blogging material. Never a dull moment. It isn't always good but it is NEVER dull.

Anonymous said...

That's the way of the world. I've found people on the Manilow Network who are not all you'd think either. Too bad we have to be so wary these days. That said, I think the the MMN is probably by far the most cohesive group aside from the "bad eggs". Barry is a kind, gentle and giving man and I know he'd like to know that those who espouse him would all work together in peace and harmony. Let's not let him down! Barry inspires frienship...so friends we we shall be for his sake! Heidi in Lake Havasu

 
Clicky Web Analytics